BRANT TOWN CLERK
1272 Brant-North Collins Rd.
P.O. Box 228
Brant, New York 14027
Phone: 716-549-0282 ext 2~ Fax 716-549-0623
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday - 9am to 4pm
Saturdays – 9am to Noon
The Town Clerk performs many duties for the Town she/he serves.
The following is a brief description of this elected position:
The tradition of the Office of Town Clerk is historical, having served as a direct link between Town Residents and their local governments and can be traced back to Biblical times ... Acts, Chapter 19, Verse 35 ...”and when the Town Clerk had appeased the people...''
While Town Clerks are generally credited with issuing licenses, that is only a small part of this complex job. The Laws mandate many duties, but many more go well beyond those mandated because Town Clerks serve as a major source of information to all.
This position requires a sincere dedication to community. Town Clerks must be informative, patient and cheerful, possess the ability to listen and advise, be receptive to new ideas, and able to maintain a sense of humor while performing duties in a professional manner.
Summary of duties:
• Public Relations Officer
• Recording Secretary
• Records Management Officer
• Filing Officer
• Licensing Officer
• Cash Control Officer
• Registrar of Vital Statistics
A Further Description of duties:
• Maintains records of adopted Town Ordinances and Local Laws, Town Oaths of Office, resignations, petitions, proof of publications, annual budgets, assessment rolls, fiscal reports, notices of lien, subpoena and court actions, bonds/notes registers, zoning ordinances and maps.
• Generally considered the center of local government, this office conveys a lasting impression of the community to all who enter.
• Authors minute books, the only official record of the activities of Town government. The resulting volumes are retained permanently for legal and historic purposes. Few individuals are entrusted with a responsibility of this magnitude.
• Custodian of all Town records, responsible for active files, storage and disposition of inactive records and the careful maintenance of archival material. Provides Application for Public Access Form.
• Administrator of the Freedom of Information Law, which guarantees your right to know the workings of government.
• Maintains public signboard, advertises and receives bids for purchase of Town materials, files burial permits from cemeteries located within the Town.
• Issues State licenses/permits, including marriage, dog, conservation (hunting and fishing), going out of business, games of chance, bingo and handicapped parking.
• Issues Town licenses/permits mandated by Local Law (e.g. taxicabs, garbage collection, transient merchants/peddlers, junk dealers, parks, etc.) See Code Book.
• In accordance with Federal and State regulations, the Town Clerk becomes the coordinator for Primary and General Elections, advising the State of vacancies for elections, overseeing polling places and equipment, election inspectors and filing of boundaries for election districts. See Board of Elections.
• The Office of the Town Clerk serves as the source for voter registration forms and absentee ballot applications.
• Is responsible for numerous duties relating to billing, and the collection and disbursement of funds. All incoming cash is recorded and disbursed to State, County and local fiscal officers. The Town Clerk also contributes to Town and departmental budget preparation, management of petty cash, general purchasing, and assisting with State and internal audits.
• Coordinates & secures rental of Park Buildings, maintaining income generated through the rental of Town Park Facilities. Park Rental application Form available on this site.
• Often is appointed keeper of all birth and death records within a community, issuing birth and death certificates, burial permits, as well as conducting genealogical searches.Link to New York State Town Clerks Associations
Licenses and Applications
ACCESSABLE PARKING PERMITS
HUNTING & FISHING
|FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT|
|Freedom of Information Act Request FILLABLE|
|Report for Stolen Handicap|
|DEATH RECORD REQUEST|
AGENDAS, MINUTES AND NOTICES OF TOWN BOARD MEETINGS
To view any of these, please click on this link: Postings